About Me

My photo
I'm forty and (not) loving it.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mode: assertive hormones

This morning I came to work and decided to drop by at our local store (ala ala newsagent la ni), teringin pulak rasanya nak makan snickers. I had to pass this fish pond which had seen its better days. I’ve seen it deteriorate over the years. But this time round it was so bad! The water pump has totally stopped working, the water was filthy. There were uneaten fish pellets and the fish were swimming very near to the surface, mouth wide opened. I had to do something because I really cannot stand seeing poor animals being tortured like that…I went back to the office and submitted a complaint form to the relevant dept. I guess I will be submitting a form on weekly basis until the problem is addressed. Am I not worried being labeled a mad woman?? For a start, I am desperately hanging on to my last few threads of insanity sejak dua menjak ‘kena buatan orang ni’’, so a couple more mouths yang mengutuk wouldn’t make any difference at all.
At least I am working for the rights of animals. One of my colleagues had wanted to submit a proposal why this certain pokok mengkudu near the parking lot should be chopped down, just because burung bertenggek kat situ and bey bey atas kereta dia, and we’re not even talking about an imported or locally assembled car here.
Ever since hormones tak betul ni, I say what I think without any hesitation. I kind of like this ‘new’ me. Have been for years trying to be more assertive..kalau la ada assertive classes dekat2 sini atau boleh dihypnotise kan utk jadi lebih assertive, alangkah bagusnya. Not only have I terrorised the poor Wira owner into improving her parking skills, I have also got up to several other things.
There is this lady from a neighbouring rival institution who has kept me in awe all these years. She is so much senior than I am…not only that, for someone who’s nearly 50, she has a nice figure, always clothed in expensive designer garments looking immaculate all the time. Kalau baju kurung tu, siap lip lap dgn manik2 and sequins lagi. And we’re talking about everyday wear here. Anyway, under this certain association we plan to hold a conference in KL soon. This diva is one of the committee members and I was made the secretary. The last meeting was held at this place, relatively unfamiliar to us..tapi kan semua org ada mulut..kalau sesat jalan, pi la bertanya. But oh no no..this diva came in to the meeting room, dumped her Coach handbag on the table and tak berhenti henti mengomel skipping London gittew. Org lain semua, termasuklah bos kecik dia yg present masa tu diam je terkulat2. At that time I had already started thinking, ‘what a nasty piece of work’.
She was given a task to do, and bila dia bukak mulut, it was the total opposite of what she had mentioned in the previous meeting. When someone had tried to point out the minit mesyuarat, dia boleh tuduh pulak yg minit aku tu salah! And she went on and on membebel in her hoity toity manner. Dpd telinga I yg panas, hati I pun jadi menggelegak and memang minah tu nak kena. I pun apalagi terus skipping London jugak….dia ingat dia sorang je ke boleh?!! The thing was, no one else dared say anything to her…they treat her like jeneral Yamashita…kalau salah cakap je kena pancung kepala. I figured that I was never her student, so I don’t owe her anything and she is not my boss or someone I work with..so I’ve got nothing to lose.
Last week when I was at the other place I work, there was this mother who wouldn’t leave my office. She insisted that I put her son before everyone else on the waiting list because according to her its sheer emergency. And we’re talking a cosmetic problem here, hardly life threatening at all. Such cheek when I have a 1 year long waiting list of other children with jantung berlubanglah, leukaemia lah and anak dia ni sihat walafiat you! I was getting very annoyed because she won’t leave, mulut ni nak cakap je, kalau puan tak suka, sila komplen pada director tempat ni’…in the end I promised her that whatever cosmetic needs her son may have in the future, I will attend to it and at a fraction of the cost…ceh! My assertive hormones really didn’t work then. Finally she left without any thank you at all! I felt violated!
Speaking of animal rights, it doesn’t extend to Ugi. I shall be having cat stew tonight because she left her ‘present’ yang berbau harum semerbak atas katil I semalam.

No comments:

Post a Comment