About Me

My photo
I'm forty and (not) loving it.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oh courage where art thou

A senior colleague of mine who's also my co-SV mentioned to me that the big SV sort of spoke about me to her. The fact that he hasn't seen me in the lab and was beginning to get worried about me. I really don't understand...thing is, he's rarely around in the country. When he was away for 3 weeks and just came back last week, i was at the lab, shadowing another student. Furthermore, my study consists only 1/4 part lab, and the rest client management with sample size of nearly 300. of course the latter requires my attention at the moment as opposed to the lab, kan? Anyway, kalau tak pi collect sample, nak experiment kan apa kat lab?

So i made an appointment to see him next week. I have been giving this problem some serious thoughts. I am stressed out enough with the machines which i need to use keep breaking down, getting the number tec. without my SV adding to my stress level. I hate having this feeling all the time that he's somehwere thinking that i'm not doing my work padahal kita tunggang terbalik takde benda lain kita buat atau pikir.

i have always been a good student in school, during my a-levels, undergrad and masters. i'm not a rebel, i selalu menurut perintah..i may be slow at some aspects but i make it up by being extra conscientious. I am far from intelligent but i am hardworking....so to suddenly have this person having such low opinion of me really upsets me...the longer this goes on, who knows, i may have doubts about myself someday that yeah, i'm just not good enough or that i don't have what it takes to get a phd.

I am timid,i don't talk back and most of the times i swallow je anything bad that comes my way. I'm not quite sure what type of person my SV is. Whether he respects a person that stands up for herself or his temper may get worse if a person dares to stand up to him. Whatever it is, enough is enough. I can't be going on like this for the next 2-3 years. I didn't expect getting a phd is easy peasy but neither did i expect that my biggest contention would be my SV. He is supposed to be my mentor, someone that should be inspiring me to do my best and not intimidate me into submission.

I pray to god that our meeting would go smoothly and if it doesn't, that i have the courage to say what's on my mind and deal with the consequences later. My importance in the whole institution is only as big as a plankton whereas he is well respected and feared at the same time. I feel like David taking on Goliath...so please help me God.

9 comments:

  1. huhu..
    good luck ya,
    SV boleh memeningkan kepala kdg2..padahal dia tak tahu pun what we go tru sepnjg tesis..i guess i understand ur feeling.T_T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kiah,
    Very nice format! Do you know that, part of PhD modules is to play along whatever he want? What is important, you know how best to achieve it. Good Luck and play nice when you meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just a suggestion, if your supervisor is really giving you a hard time why not just change your supervisor and get someone who you feel can help you in many more ways before it's too late...?


    -visitor-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cik Kiah,
    Istikharah byk2, mohon bantuan & petunjuk drp-Nya. Kalau dah sekali buka mulut & raise this issue, payah nak patah balik ke status quo. At the same time, I/we understand that to have a SV who's forever doubting your capability is not a good omen for the end that you aim for - so why waste further time with him if you can get a good SV cum mentor (udah identified?) elsewhere? Do check with your co (& others in the same institution) if possible beforehand...
    One of 'geng' did experience something like this - he 9dean list during c/work for DBA) was being accused of plagiarism etc., 'go ahead if you wanna to defend your proposal but I'm not goin' to support you kinda stuff'..such that eventually he opted out & started new elsewhere & be happier! -rad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam CK,

    Be strong and sometimes we do need to stand up to this kind of people. Look at it this way, maybe what you're doing is so good that subconsciously he's afraid of your success in the future?!! Hehehe, bila plak aku jadik pakar jiwa nih. Anyway, best of luck dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck doll ! Hope everything works out well... Kalau boleh tukar aje lah SV... kalau boleh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sampai bila u nak swallow je.Express yourself la!



    ....wawa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cik Kiah, soklan ni terkeluar topic sikit... did you feel lonely when studying overseas? if so, how did you cope with that?

    Lonely student

    ReplyDelete
  9. One heart One Love,
    I'm sure he had some difficulties when he was doing his, ni kes lupa le ni..

    Bugis,
    Yeah, now i understand..it's just that how much one is prepared to bend over backwards to please the SV.

    Visitor and Rad,
    Was seriously thinking about it...but let's see my 2nd sem assessment first. If still teruk, then probably i should pack up and look elsewhere.

    Ina,
    Takpe, sesekali jadi pakar sakit jiwa. He's damn excellent in his field, so i dont think dia rasa threatened dgn i.

    CPK,
    kalau boleh isi borang hari ni, bulan depan dapat SV baru alangkah indahnya hidup.

    Wawa,
    Dah express dah. Nanti i cite.

    Lonely student,
    Nanti i story mory panjang lebar OK??

    ReplyDelete