About Me

My photo
I'm forty and (not) loving it.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Rewind 2

Fri 27th Jan
When MG woke up that morning, I told him that it was time that we let PB go. She was never going to get better. MG was to pick me up from home around 10am and we'd both go to see PB at UPM - we were supposed to bring PB home as what was discussed earlier with the doctor - for us to look after her because we had thought she'd fare better at home in familiar surroundings. Probably, in other words, the doctors didn't know what else they could do for her. I never thought i could cry so much - for a cat. Of course she was more than that. She was family.
During the drive to UPM, I talked to MG. I told him that PB was always happy to see me/us/her family whenever she was warded. Therefore, it might be hard for us to do what we had already decided - i mean how can you terminate a life that clearly loves and trusts you? We reached the place she was warded. We saw PB, she was listless. It was as if she didn't recognise who we were, even though MG was her most favourite person. We called her name but she remained the same. God must have listened to my prayers - i had asked God to make it easy for us. I told her vet of our decision. She asked if we had thought about it through. Wouldn't we wait for her test results? I appreciated her concerns but i told her that we both knew that PB was not going to get better regardless of what her diagnosis might be. We were left alone with her in a quiet room to say our goodbyes. And throughout that time PB was not herself anymore. I combed her fur. I told her how much we love her and how much she would remain a part of our lives.
The vet injected the med through the IV line still attached to her leg. She was gone in less than 5 seconds. She didn't twitch or made any sound at all..it was as if she just went to sleep. We took her home, towel, toy and all and buried her in our garden. PB will forever be in my heart.
I thought long and hard about ending PB's suffering. I know not everyone would have agreed to what i did. Would i do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat rather than watch any of my cats go through the same thing as PB. My only regret was that i left it a bit too late - when PB was already in so much pain.
But she is in a better place now. I miss her.
The Rainbow Bridge (inspired by a Norse legend)

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

No comments:

Post a Comment